Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Posted by on March 8, 2010 11:03 am
Tags: , , ,
Categories: Column 3

Here are some recycling facts you may not have known. When you recycle an aluminum can, it can be back on the shelf as a new can in about 3 months! Nike collects athletic shoes and turns them into raw materials to make new sports surfaces like tennis courts and running tracks. Each year Americans junk more than 80 million dollars’ worth of precious metals (gold, silver, palladium, and platinum) in the form of retired cell phones. Cities get recycled, too.  Roman settlements made a handy source of stone for medieval church builders. Recycling is all around us. Pitch in and do your part to recycle some resources today!

6 responses to Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

1. Alexis March 8th, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Well, I think Reduce, Reuse, Recycle is good for the environment, but it is sort of gross that soda cans are recycled. I would not want to buy a recycled can that other people used, even if they melted it down, which I think they do…

2. Taylor March 8th, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Recycling is important to our world. I think the Town of Middletown should recycle more to make our town look cleaner and more welcoming for other people. Some people throw trash on the ground and that’s not good for the planet. If you throw trash on the ground, some animal can get hold of it and eat it, and that will make the animal sick. If you recycle, it will make our town a better place. It will also make the world and air healthier!

3. Shayla March 8th, 2010 at 3:02 pm

I think recycling is a good way to save the earth, and it’s not even that hard to do. We recycle bottles, cans, and paper, and it’s simple. A great thing to do!

4. Natalie March 8th, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Everyone should recycle! But, why don’t they? 🙁

5. Nathaniel March 8th, 2010 at 3:07 pm

I do have one question about Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. I don’t understand why they would put expensive and precious metals in cell phones? Couldn’t they replace the metals with cheaper metals than gold, silver, and platinum? (Good question. I think this has to do with how well these metals conduct electricity. I heard that the batteries that powered the lunar rover on the moon were made of silver. The batteries worked better and lasted longer because they were made of silver.)

6. Isaiah March 8th, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Recycling is good for the environment, and it helps animals live longer.